Tuesday, June 29, 2010

I Can't Stop Eating This


It's so darn good. My enjoyment of it is kind of scaring me. Have I been eating cardboard by accident the last few weeks? Anyway, the pursuit of ricotta-using recipes (b/c of my rather large jar sitting in the fridge) led me to an old Real Simple magazine that had some, you guessed it simple but yummy recipes for the grill.

Enter grill. I don't have a grill. But I DO have a grill pan thanks to my recent trip to Beijing... which means IKEA. I am also a little concerned about my level of excitement about this grill pan. It really doesn't grill food-- but it leaves cool grill lines on them and that excites me. My inner artist just loves the way it looks. 

Anyway, I really hope if you read this that you will try this lovely, fresh, summery meal. I'm so in love with it I might need some accountability. I've eaten it for lunch for several days straight now and can't wait to share it with my man who is coming home TONIGHT!!!

grilled bread with zucchini, ricotta, and basil 
(originally published in Real Simple July 2009)

4  thick slices country bread
2 Tablespoons olive oil
4 small zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise
1 cup fresh basil, leaves torn (I used dried, but added some fresh spinach)
1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
Kosher salt
1 cup fresh ricotta

Heat grill to medium high. Brush bread with 1 T. of the oil and grill until golden and crisp, about 1 minute per side. Transfer to plates.

Grill the zucchini until tender and slightly charred, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Toss in a large bowl with the basil, pepper, 1/2 tsp salt, and remaining T. of oil.

Top the bread with zucchini mixture and ricotta.

note: I think the bread is kind of important... use a good, tasty country bread. I added tomatoes which was so fresh and colorful.


2 comments:

  1. I share your enthusiasm. Looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so so so glad that Josh will be home soon!

    ReplyDelete