Friday, September 3, 2010

[month of mornings] 16 :: too wet to stay in

[beach comber]
7:39 am

[gritty]
7:46 am

Was that me, wallowing some time ago about not having a backyard and gardens and such? Who was that person, that took for granted this beautiful stretch of sand and rock and salty water right at the tip of her toes?

I will admit, it's not always in my nature to say yes to beach play on the way home from the bus stop, but sometimes I just tell myself it's okay, just embrace the sandy feet and insides of your shorts and know it will all wash off, as will your floors in just a few minutes. 

 I try to tell myself, as I watch the earth worms wriggling in delight instead of baking on the pavement, and see the green leaves drinking in their refreshment, that the earth I eat from and the beauty that sustains me is dependent on this rain. It may hinder some plans, and dampen my clothes, but I won't wish it away to Spain or any other place but here. 

And this little Scout of mine, she just loves the water-- coming from the sky, crashing in from the horizon, pouring out of spickets and hoses and faucets and buckets. So this rainy day... it's a perfect day to play.



[drink it in]
7:56 am

2 comments:

  1. See?? Don't you just love this last photo of your daughter? How many people are cowering under umbrellas and she is embracing all that life is giving. She's really gonna live that one is. I like her spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I will admit, it's not always in my nature to say yes to beach play on the way home from the bus stop, but sometimes I just tell myself it's okay, just embrace the sandy feet and insides of your shorts and know it will all wash off, as will your floors in just a few minutes"

    You and my wife have learned to embrace these opportunities. I'm not there yet but am realizing I'm missing out some cool times to set my kids free from my protected norms.

    ReplyDelete