Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Colorado Cousins

We have been soaking up the beauty and refreshment of Colorado the past several days.
It ended today and now we're back in the Midwest, heading out soon for another jaunt through a few more States. The time with our family has been so good. The cousin time is sweet to watch and blesses me as I see them bond so quickly, when their memories of one another have something like spaces of years between them. I'm so thankful for our families. They each bless us in different and important ways and we know it is a treasure to have them.

I'll have to be honest too and say that the last two stops have made me falter a little in my "I'll be ready to go back to China... no problem." The weather and smell of pine and the evenings around a fire with loved ones, laughing, remembering, it certainly makes me pause and rehearse a few things in my soul. 

Then there was the incident we found out about yesterday, the lost boxes and items that didn't make it when our things were moved across the country way back in China while we've been filling up on family time here. It was another pause moment (or heave, or sob, or cry out a few tears in frustration moment). But the Lord was there, with words of encouragement, of reminder (from a friend, from the Word).

Give us this day our daily bread... Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal. But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven... for where your treasure is there will your heart be also...Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, neither do they reap... and yet your heavenly father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they?

Yes, and which of us by being anxious can add a single cubit to his life's span? (good point.)

Part of what we lost was a lot of clothing.
And why are you anxious about clothing? Observe how the lilies of the field grow; they do not toil nor do they spin, yet I say to you that even Solomon in all his glory did not clothe himself like one of these.

I am prone to start worrying about it all. I think it's fine to grieve the loss of this stuff, but to worry...
Do not be anxious then, saying 'what shall we eat? or what shall we drink? or with what shall we clothe ourselves?' For all these things the pagans seek after; and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first Hi kingdom and His righteousness and all these things shall be added to you. Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow...

And already, here I am, sitting with a heap of clothes from my generous sister in law and some fun vintage buttons that brought me quite a lot of joy and these Life giving words that seem to be just the balm I need to calm my heart.












3 comments:

  1. Boxes forever lost or just misplaced?

    And the water in the pictures, is that mountain water? Like make-your-legs-ache water? Oh how I love the mountains and all its freshness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh friend, I figured needing to check on the number of boxes sent couldn't be a good thing, but I chose to live in denial. It makes me sad just thinking about it. Glad to hear you have people speaking His truth to you and that you're enjoying the time with family and friends in all these places. Your pictures are stunning, like always. Just had some blackberries in my house this past week---from Mykal, haha! LaWanda picked them up for me (and LIMES) as a little thank you for babysitting. Got to make those (key) Lime Blackberry Swirl Cupcakes that I wanted to make for Kristen's shower...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What she ^^^ said, well mostly because I don't know the people she mentioned but uhm, yes on the lime blackberry swirl cupcakes too.
    Maybe the boxes will turn up? And if they don't what a wonderful time to see God fulfill and meet needs!

    ReplyDelete