Saturday, January 17, 2015

17/365 Advocating for Ciabatta





A bit of food talk today.

Living in China has forced me to learn to make things I might otherwise have never tried. And I've found a love for cooking and baking, partly in the enjoyment of the process and the creativity of it, partly in the joy it brings to others who eat it, and partly in the love of aesthetically beautiful things, which as Image Bearers we seem to enjoy in the look and taste of our food much more so than other creatures.

Earlier this year I started making Ciabatta regularly. It is relatively easy, tastes wonderful, and looks like it came from an artisan cafe. I think everyone should try it. If there was a group for Ciabatta Advocates, I would join it.

Weekends are often our days for easy sandwiches and chips, and this recipe comes together "somewhat"effortlessly (probably annoying to read for any non-bread-makers out there) on a Saturday.

Plus, it is one more outlet for a favorite photography venue of mine... FOOD.

Here's my version of how I go about it...

1/4 water with 1 packet yeast and 1 tsp sugar-- set aside to proof for several minutes
5-6 cups of flour 
*a little more or less depending on how many buns you want. I usually want a lot so I tend towards 6+ cups. I never measure exact with flour when making bread and this bread is very adjustable. I also usually substitute 1 cup with whole wheat flour.
2-3 tsp salt ( I eye it... again, to taste)
1/4 olive oil-- drizzle in flour/salt mixture and stir together. 
Add yeast mixture
Add water, starting with 1 cup and adding more as needed to bring dough together.
Knead for several minutes until soft and elastic.
Let rise until double in size, about 1 hour.
Split dough in two and stretch into rectangles, about 1/2 inch thick. Then cut into 8 squares and lay on oiled cookie sheet. Sprinkle with flour, 
Let rise for another 30-60 minutes. 
Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until they sound hollow when tapped and are very slightly browning.


2 comments:

  1. Yummo. Trying this recipe today! Love you!!!! - kp

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I assume the first measurement (for water) is 1/4 cup? Is that all the water/liquid other than the oil?!?! So excited!

    ReplyDelete